Thursday, September 29, 2005

On and On

Wow, Thursday came awfully fast this week. I ran around this morning collecting advice for NSERC applications, checking that my profs were well on their way to having my letters written on time (Monday deadline). I grabbed a coffee and went to Nicoles lab again. She needs me less and less as the weeks pass so I should soon be able to break this habit. But then my lab time came.

I think I give the people in my lab a good idea of what they need to get everything done in a no-problem way but then as soon as I finish explaining everything, there is always that one person who needs extra attention. Well, lets just say I have about 15 of these people in each of my labs, and it makes it hard on me. I try to shout out common problems to avoid having 100 people ask me the same question, but sometimes it just doesn't help. In fact, I go into so much detail, and give so many tips like "let everyone save this now, and rename this as week 3 part 1 so that we can keep it straight" that the one person who seems on top of it all kinda grins at me and rolls his eyes. That one guy is the only reason I know that I went into sufficient detail, and now I'm just being silly. I don't want to make people feel dumb, or offended but seriously, these people need it.

I have approached my prof about the fact that many of my students are asking for time with me outside of class. He is setting up a chat-room session once a week for these people, in which all the TA's will "be there" helping to answer questions. I mentioned this to some people in the class, but some have said they are soo lost they wouldn't know what questions to ask. Bah!

So I'm asking for office hours on Monday so that I can at least get credited (ie paid) for the hours I am spending more-or-less tutoring these people. Hopefully, my prof will stop giving me so much extra work for "hours I owe him"

Anyways, I got a book for the GRE studying. I might buy one just so that I have a copy (not the same one, but another practice book). I'm not looking at it until the weekend so I don't spend all night worrying about that when I have so much other stuff to do.

Anyone watch the TLC special on "the girl with two heads" ?? Well I did. I was totally guilty about it too until my prof showed a picture of the girl in my developmental bio lecture, regarding parasitic twins. I knew it was relevant somehow...hehe. Anyways, for those of you that didn't see it, I'm sure it will be on again and it's totally cool, so watch it. Except if you're having a baby (Congrats Marty and Nicole!!) and you're scared.

Speaking of babies, I am learning the entire process from pre-conception to birth, so if anyone has any questions...I'm the one you talk to!! If you don't want details, ask someone else. I tend to go on and on, as I'm doing right now, because I am lonely and sometimes it feels good to rant.

Anyways, enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home