Monday, October 03, 2005

Where's the "line" that shouldn't be crossed?

So, it all started a week ago today, when I was sitting in a lecture student presentation on diabetes type II. At the end of a (in my oppinion) not-so-informative seminar, the students decided to include a sort of David Letterman top 10 list of "reasons why its cool to have diabetes" or something to this effect. Included in this list were reasons such as
"When out with friends, you always get the last say on places to eat"
"You have an excuse for spouting off obsenities"
and
"Women taste better, or so I'm told..."
Now this last one is where I would say the "line" has been crossed. They were referring to oral sex on a woman, I assume. What else would they be trying to say? So I felt a bit offended. I thought maybe it was their way of trying to make the presentation interesting, and yet this is all I remember. Not effective.

So, today I'm sitting in lecture, and in 50 minutes, spoken (and in some cases acted out) by the proffesor I heard the phrases
"slut"
"whore"
"fuck me"
"castrating bitches"
and some others...this is crossing the "line" in my oppinion. I understand why he chose to use these phrases. He was trying to make the material more salient or memorable (again, I assume), but come on now...

I was under the impression that I was educated. Sitting in a lecture hall and spouting off this profanity made me lose all course content and focus on my disbeleif of what was being said. I can't beleive that a group of 3rd and 4th year university students couldn't have grasped that concept any other way. So I'm perturbed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home