Monday, July 31, 2006

YES....I commute....

I don't know what it is about commuting that makes people put on this horrible looking sneering face that makes me feel like I just told them I have a twin attached to my ass, but recently I have had about a thousand people ask me where I'm living and working, and when I answer that I live in one city and work in another they get it. The face. The "are you freakin' crazy?!!" face.
I've come to hate that look.

I thought I would make it public knowledge that yes...I do commute. And it's not quite as bad as it sounds, though the end of a long day can be made worse by a crappy commute or a late train.

The thing is, the commute gives me a chance to either catch up on some reading, journal, or catch a little nap in the morning to get going, or in the evening to wind down. It's not something I would choose to do necessarily if I had another option, but I am trying to look on the bright side, knowing that I will be doing this for at least 2 more years, and possibly forever. I get to live with my family for now, and that's the best bonus I can think of. I don't have to live by myself in a city I despise.

Also, I save money. Lots of money when you think about it. I am still going to school but intead of paying rent and utilities and groceries etc. IN TORONTO, I get to live rent-free and my major expenses are my dog (who is absolutly worth every single penny), my cell phone, and my credit card payments. Aside from commuting costs of course, which do run me a hefty $300 monthly. But it is alot cheeper. Trust me. And when you get paid next to nothing to work...it helps.

I guess I can forgive the people who give me 'The Look" but please...don't make it worse then it already is. Just smile and say "How fabulous! look at all the money you save by not living in Toronto!" and you'll make my day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just look at all the money you save by living with your favorite Mama Dukes and your wonderful family!

Anyway, just smile and wave! You probably spend as much time commuting as some that live in north Toronto or East Toronto, so it's really not that bad!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home