Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Judas Cradle

I was thinking about sleep again, and deciding what would be a good method for human sleep deprivation. The people in my lab went for lunch together yesterday, and had a conversation about the kid who stayed awake for 11 days (supposedly) for a science fair project. Apparently, some other dude was trying to break the record by staying awake longer, but the Guinness Book of World records didn't even want to accept it because it was too dangerous. So, it got me to thinking about sleep deprivation in humans and what it does.

There aren't many reported cases. In fact most of the cases of sleep deprivation of more than about 2 days are due to drugs, disease, interrogation or torture, all of which would have health effects outside of loosing sleep. But I thought about my little rats, who I would never ever sleep deprive for 11 days because it would be mean. But humans have a conscious mind that can decide (at least for a while) that it doesn't want to sleep. In the name of science.

So we joked about staying awake for the 4 days that the rats are awake, just to see how it feels. We joked, but then I got curious. I asked how long my lab-mates would sleep if they were not required to go to bed and wake up at work times. Every one of them responded between 8 and 10 hours. But why? Because sleeping is fun, or feels productive? I don't get it. You definitly don't need 10 hours of sleep. In fact, so far the closest researchers have come to deciding on the optimal sleep time was 7.5 hours per night. So, why do we like to sleep so much? Good question...

I also thought about how I feel when I'm really tired. I don't think that kid could have stayed awake for 11 days straight. Maybe he got a very little bit of sleep, but not NONE. I don't believe it. And if it is possible, then I would love to see it for myself. I would love to do tests on him too. Measure his heart rate, and take blood samples to see if his immune system sucks after. It would be fascinating. And no one did it. There were apparently reporters and such with him, so why were't there doctors? Why weren't they studying him? He apparently held a press conference and seemed coherent and fine during it. But then, why did he stop? who decided on 264 hours?

I read some stuff on human sleep deprivation. Picture this: during times of war etcetera, people use sleep deprivation as a form of interrogation and torture. The drive to fall asleep is soo strong that even being strung up above a pyramid naked and tied in such a way that if you fell asleep the pyramid would be in a painful place; doesn't work to keep you awake. Seriously. It's called a Judas Cradle. I will include a picture, but only to give you an idea of the seriousness of our need to sleep.
I know I couldn't stay awake even 1/3 that long, so how did the kid do it? I don't think he did. End of story. I have a hard time believing it anyways.

And I couldn't think of a way to humanely sleep deprive a human. So I guess the at-home deprivation that I was thinking about isn't going to happen. Maybe another year. I hope that this guy who can't get a Guinness award at least makes some scientific measurements on himself. For me, and for science :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

New moms become sleep deprived just after a night or two of interrupted sleep. I don't believe he did it either. It is fascinating how the mind and body immediately starts to malfunction and break down without sleep. I agree with the drive for sleep that it would over power this kid’s desire to stay awake. 11 days, I would think that his mind/body would progress to a state of delirium, where he could no longer consciously make the sound decision to stay awake on his own. The body is a very powerful force. So much of it’s functioning is involuntary and although we can control sleep of a while, ultimately the bodies drive for survival takes over.

Ohhh so interesting…they should have studied it….when you do I’ll hold your clipboard.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I disagree.

I think he could indeed have done it.

I say this because, when I was doing a 72 sleep deprivation thing for a grade 12 class, I felt COMPLETELY fine as long as I was DOING something, e.g. playing a multiplayer (vs. humans) video game, or walking around the town. I only ever actually felt tired when I was just sitting around.

Anyway, if you and I ever had time off from research at the same time, I'd be willing to do 7 days, but the key thing is to have someone with you at all times, which usually mean both people staying up the whole time.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I wrote from south-south of the border. As far as I know, there´s the unique case in the world of a guy who suffered an accident and lost part of his brain: he couldn`t sleep at all!!!
The judas cradle torure was used (and actually is!)in a room covered with glasses, so the victim could see his face reflected in the agony. They also put a hot fire near him (or her), to make the situation very uncomfortable.
Bye,
Martìn

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home