Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!!

I realized I haven’t blogged in a thousand years, so here it is. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this yet, but I am officially going to Australia, and my work has been accepted for presentation. So I will finish my data analysis, and make a poster of some sort. Then when we go there (my supervisor, and the other master’s student in my lab) I will present my work on 2 of the 5 days. It is exciting and scary, and stressful because it’s a real deadline (instead of the artificial kind that I create for myself all the time). So, we have planned the trip to go something like this (though some of it is not set in stone of course).

August 28th (around 3pm): get to airport

6:40pm: flight leaves the airport (5.15 hours in flight) and lands at L.A. airport where we stay about 3 hours before boarding another flight to Melbourne, AUS (flight time: 15.15 hours).

August 30th (9:35am AUSSIE time): get on the third plane to go backwards 3 hours to Cairns. Total flight time: 23 hours, 45 min. Total travel time: 28 hours 10 minutes (assuming all goes perfect and we don’t miss a flight or something)

August 30th (around 2:00pm AUSSIE time, in real people time it’s actually midnight turning into Aug 30): Check into hotel and hit the beach to relax and unwind from a shitty 30 hours en route. Do nothing but relax for the next 16 hours.

August 31st – check out the city, the beach, the shops, relax, and miss home.

September 1st – do a full day tour of the rainforest from sunrise until dinner time. Go back to the hotel for a nap and journal time. Miss home, and then go out to get drunk (?) and meet some cute Aussies (?) Tee hee

September 2nd – Trainee orientation and workshops for the conference all day. The other master’s student arrives today, so likely hit the beach and meet some other “young” people before going to some pub and socializing (because this is the most important part of conferences so I’m told). In down time: journal and miss home.

September 3rd (conference day 1) – trainee breakfast starts at 7am, then sessions (with breaks for tea and lunch) until 4pm. Then it’s my turn to present my work (4-6pm). Nighttime – undecided (possibility for night zoo walk to pet a dingo and learn tribal dance, depending on how tired we are). Back to the hotel to journal, and cry about missing home.

September 4th (conference day 2) – Trainee breakfast at 7am, then sessions until 12:30pm. Hitting the beach in the afternoon for some alone time while supervisor and other student go white water rafting (crazy cats!). Probably write a lot, try to get a tan, take a nap, and cry about missing home.

September 5th (conference day 3) – Trainee breakfast at 7am, then sessions (with breaks for tea and lunch) until 4pm. Then it’s my last opportunity to present my work (4-6pm). Go back to the hotel to journal and miss home. Nighttime will be spent in the city, doing what cool people do (can you tell we have left our night plans open? I think it might have something to do with pitchers, and pubs, but I’m not telling).

September 6th (last conference day 4) – ummm…we aren’t going. Instead, we are going to spend the entire day (10am-6pm I think) chilling out on a catamaran and snorkeling in the great barrier reef. It’s going to be amazing. I’m pumped about it (and only a tiny bit guilty about missing the whole last day of the conference). Spend the evening journaling, sleeping, and being ridiculously home-sick. Cry.

September 7th (last day in AUS) – tentative plan is to wake up early, rent a car, and head to the highest natural pyramid in the world. Spend 6-8 hours hiking up and down it (just over a kilometer high, but super steep, and a difficult hike). Go back to the beach and finish our tan. Nap. Journal. Get excited to go home. Start drinking…

Keep drinking….

September 8th (3:00 am Aussie time) – arrive at Cairns airport (hammered?). Hope that the hangover doesn’t kick in before we have time to order more drinks on the flight. Stay drunk whilst flying to Brisbane (flight time 2:05), then 2.5 hour stopover before getting on a flight back to L.A (flight time: 12:55) and hopefully passing out/getting some sleep, another 2:55 stopover, and 4:40 minute flight before arriving at the airport (home sweet home) on September 8th at 5:35pm. Total travel time on the way back: 25:05.

Something tells me that if I live through this work trip / vacation, I’ll have some awesome stories and pictures to tell / show. I’m officially excited.

Now I just have to work on getting a passport so I can actually leave the country.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an exciting time for you! You'll see you will spend less time missing home and crying than you think!
We'll be missing you at home since we won't have fun things like Great Barrier Reefs and Aussie Pubs to keep us busy!!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

You are going to have a blast. I like all the meals and tea breaks.
Have a great time and take pics.

Thanks for blogging finally.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah right missing home, maybe missing boy toy and doodle a wee bit, but I bet your trip will be so fun and amazing there will be no missing home...maybe you'll just cry because you miss your favourite sister sooooo much...yes, thats definately it. But I can't go because I will be preparing for the first week fo school in my NEW JOBIE oooohhh eeeeeeee. xoxo

7:48 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Holy crap...THAT'S A LOT OF TIME ON A PLANE!!!

I'm so very happy for you!!! You deserve such greatness...and this is just he beginning...!!!

We'll miss you at pool :)

Take lots of pictures...cause unless they build one fucking huge big bridge across the continents, I'll never see that side of the world!!!

So until then, I'll live my travel dreams through you!!!

Say "hi" to the dingo's!!!

8:21 PM  
Blogger B said...

ahhhh I'm so excited for you!!!!


take LOTS OF PICTURES!!

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home