Thursday, November 29, 2007

Stereotypes

Do you ever get the feeling that stereotypes happen for a reason? I have found examples of typical stereotypes on the train ride to school two days in a row. Tons of them, and I can’t help but feel bad for thinking it (because we are raised to feel bad these days) but the stereotypes that exist are definitely seen in the everyday. I’ll provide examples of which I’ve seen in the past 48 hours:

1. A super over-weight woman (and I mean seriously overweight) eating from TWO take-out bags from McDonalds.

2. A group of Chinese people all taking pictures like they are hired paparazzi

3. A white trash looking woman (mullet and all) was resorting to child care over the phone. She was instructing her obviously young child on how to cook pizza pockets in the microwave

4. An Italian man talking to his friend almost entirely using his hands. And he was loud. This is a big no-no on the train, as ¾ of people are napping and/or completing a ridiculously hard crossword puzzle

And last but not least:

5. An African American woman (and still I’m politically correct) yelling at her one son or daughter about how they couldn’t afford to pay for something (I think a laptop or something technology related) because their father got put in jail and couldn’t pay support

If the train isn’t entertainment, I don’t know what is. And I don’t even try to see these things. They just happen. It amuses me, and makes me feel guilty for judging people in passing. But how can I help it when they fit the stereotype all-too-well?

2 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

LMAO...great observation.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Oh lord. I thought about this post this morning as I was driving the 401. I was trying to murge over and this dick beside me was on his phone and going the exact speed. I'd speed up he do the same. I slow down and he'd follow. Finally I slammed on the horn and he sort of shrugged his shoulders and pulled ahead as to say, What's her issue"? As I changed lanes I noticed that the whole side of his car was crushed to shit and repaired with clear duct tape.

Perhaps it is true what they say about drivers on their cell phones.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home