Tuesday, November 13, 2007

And Still I Smile

I haven't been sleeping well. I don't know why, but for some reason at about 4 or 5am I wake up and can't get back to sleep. That's how I started my day. But, trying not to be pessimistic, I got up and got ready to go into school.

I got to the train in time to take the 6:55 express, but it wasn't there, and I hear over the loud speaker "Please board the train on track 3 departing in 10 minutes. All other trains are late". So I get on thinking "OK, it's making all stops but at least I'll get a seat..." And slowly the train fills with people. Turns out they canceled the 3 express trains that come before this one. I knew by this point it was going to be a sardine can by the time I arrived at my destination. But still I smiled. Why? Three reasons.

1. What else can you do? When it's out of your hands, accept it.

2. My new toy (good timing). I have been missing my music for over a month (turns out I left it in a jacket pocket, and left the jacket at a friends house). But my mama dukes won an 80G video iPod from a draw and said "you deserve it". And so with my life soundtrack, I was happy.

3. The guy who operates the train is funny. I bet this guy gets a ton of chicks. The normal train announcements go something like this: "Please stand well back from the yellow platform lines. High speed trains can pass at any time in either direction..." blah blah monotone and nobody ever listens.
But this guy must want to be a comedian, because he cracks little jokes, especially when the transit commission screws up (practically always now a days) and people are pissed off. So instead you hear "Remember to stand away from the tracks folks, cause I hear getting hit by a train hurts".
And this morning, when the train was Packed!
"Alright people, make room for the newcomers! Pushing and shoving is OK, and I highly encourage people to sit on the lap of the person next to you"
and
"If you didn't eat breakfast, try and stay on the ground level. The air gets thin on the upper floors and we don't want to scrape anyone off the ground when you pass out"
and
"When leaving the train, look on the seat next to you. There you will find your cell phone and/or your iPod. Good, now get off and go to work"

I giggled.

So the commute was crappy (again!), but still I smiled.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me smile.
Grandma hugs

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home