Monday, March 31, 2008

Earth Hour

I think everyone who participated in Earth Hour should be proud for being a part of the community / world effort to reduce power consumption. I think it is a great idea, and overall worth the advertising costs etc. The results were pretty amazing.

Here is a picture of Sydney Australia before and after;
And Toronto's skyline (practically the other side of the world) during their Earth Hour;
I happened to be at Gemini's house enjoying a nice dinner and hanging with his family and a bunch of family friends. We ate by candlelight, and then the boys picked up a couple of acoustic guitars and played and sang. There was some piano, and bongo drums, and it turned into a night of entertainment. The lights were out much longer than an hour, which I'm sure is the case for many.

My family at home enjoyed a game of Monopoly by candlelight (which I am sorry I missed), and played until after midnight.

The TV's were off, the families and friends together, and it was a great experience at the same time as saving a bit of energy for the environment.

But I pose this question; why not do this more than once a year? Is it that big of a deal for stores or families to sacrifice an hour once a month say? I thought it was fun. I think sitting and playing board games in the dark, and turning off the TV once a week would be nice.

In any case, pat yourself on the back if you participated, because I think it was fairly successful overall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home