Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Turns out racism is OK after all

Well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but at this point, I am not making a far stretch in my statement. It seems the Toronto District School Board thinks that black students need to have the option of attending a school for black children. But of course, to be fair "no one ever said little white children couldn't attend"

How is this NOT a step backwards?

Are we supposed to be able to segregate based on race or not? Because ever since I was young, I've been taught to treat people as equals no matter what background. I have tried to do this for the most part, though I sometimes find it difficult. Especially at my age, in my career path, when I'm fighting for job placement with people who have made it through university (in CANADA!) without knowing the language. I have also lost out on potential scholarship money based on the fact that I am *not* of a certain background. If that's not racism, I don't know what is.

I hate the fact that kids are being taught that they are *special* (whether it be for a good reason or bad) because of their race. Are they going to open up a school specially designed for Chinese kids, and Indian kids now too? Because God knows that they deserve to learn their history etc etc too, and feel like they "belong". It's bullshit, and you know what it does in the end? It makes people more separated and more racist, and nothing ever gets fixed. Black people will still be involved in the most crime and have the highest drop-out rate in Toronto. You know why? Because they are all hanging out with each other and talking about what their relatives are doing (and it only takes one bad seed to be influencing the rest) to make money the easy way or whatever. The same thing happens in Caucasian families where an older brother got involved in a gang and what not. It happens to white kids too, but just not as often. They don't get special treatment because they are dropping out.

The whole idea is crazy. And before you know it, all the black kids are going to have to sit at the back of the bus again. We are moving backwards toward segregation.

Why can't they have classes available within the school with focus on black history or culture or whatever it is that is supposed to make these kids stay in school? Why can't they integrate it into the existing schools, so as to offer it but not have the kids separated? Then the "little white kids" could actually attend!

Maybe I'm over reacting, and maybe there is a bit of me that is a bit pissed off that black people are demanding soo much special attention. Maybe someone should demand that they open a school for children from low income single-parent families (because I'm sure the dropout rate in this group is comparable to blacks).

Canada goes too far for it's multiculturalism. We are being walked over by so many different groups, we might as well bend over and pull out the vasoline.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Merry Christmas....

Or am i not allowed to say that...

n'uf said!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home