Thursday, December 13, 2007

Why?

Why do people feed wild pigeons and rats?

I saw two people throw seed and bread crumbs for the pigeons at the train station today in a matter of the 30 seconds it took me to find my subway token. Why would you do this? You're encouraging the flocking of several hundred birds in the busiest place on Earth at any time of day. It just seems silly to me. I don't understand what goes through people's heads. I just don't.

On a lighter note, I have done zero Christmas shopping. I'm going to be one of those. You know, those people who do all of their Christmas shopping in one day on the 23rd. That's going to be me. And in the end, it will work out, because things always work out at Christmas time. It's like a rule.

Also, I met a semi-super-important sleep contact last night. I joined several other students in taking him to a pub for food and drinks. It was interesting conversation, but I had to leave about an hour into the really good work talk (ie. things about sleep) in order to make it home in time to get 6 hours of sleep before getting up to come to work again.

I sort of knew this all along, but re-enforced yesterday that I absolutely suck at being social. I need to take a course on how to introduce myself. On how to talk to people without feeling soo embarrassed you'd think I was naked or something. My work world requires networking, and if I fail at anything, it might be this aspect. I have to do lunch with this person again tomorrow, in a more formal and intimite (just 2 other people) setting. I think this will be better for conversation, but I can't help but be nervous just the same. I don't know why I think this way. I do good work, and have something to share...I just need to get it out of my mouth. I over-think things.

And to change the topic of this blog yet again (I'm obviously feeling scattered today), I am about to learn how to teach a lab. This is OK and normally wouldn't bother me, but what am I doing? Cutting legs off cockroaches (yes, cockroaches) to make preparations to learn about touch sensors, and how the little hairs on the not-so-tiny cockroach legs respond to touch. Gross. How did I get myself into this? I should have stuck to my four-year-old instinct, and become a table dancer :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could start your Christmas shopping tonight you know!! I think that's a great idea!!
Networking sucks and I'm not any good at it either.
Cutting legs off cockroaches yuck!!! leave them all there at school we want no more pets at our house!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

I have not done any shopping either.... see ya on the 23rd!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home