Monday, May 30, 2005

Driven By Desperation

I've started to write this blog a few times, and for many reasons (including a stupid computer day) I haven't finished it...in fact I have started it over and written about different things many times. I can't decide what to write about besides the job search. It has sort of consumed me lately so that's all I have been thinking about.

Since the last time I wrote, I contacted the rest of the second cup stores in Oakville and none are hiring until August. I have applied at banks, and grocery stores, the beer store and liquor store, and other places that I thought I might have a chance of being employed. I have called random labs in Toronto, I have begged people that I don't even know to give me a job. In fact, I could have had a job at Swiss Chalet in Simcoe...I don't think it would work though. I went for a job fair at the Holiday Inn in Bronte. I was willing to ride 3 buses to and from work every day to go clean up after other people. I don't care anymore.

In my Holiday Inn interview (which I wrote an entire blog about, but it got lost) I tried to convince them that they could really use someone like me working for them. I got a few questions about my schooling and then the worst part of the interview..."So...you sound really smart Aimee, and clearly you are willing to work hard, so...why are you here?!?!!"
Crap...overqualified...no shit
So I explained that jobs this summer have been hard to come across and that I would really enjoy working with the Holiday Inn team etc etc etc
Bullshit

I didn't get a phone call...

I went for an interview at Apple One (a job agency). Now, these people get word of jobs that aren't necessarily available to me in the newspaper or on the internet. I have talked to them a few times in the past couple of weeks and they offered me a job which they took back (bastards) when they found out I was a summer student. They stated that they weren't accepting summer students this year because there aren't enough jobs available. Great...

They called me back a week later and said they wanted me to come in for an interview. So, I got all dressed up and went to the office. I got a battery of questions, which I answered very confidently (out of necessity). I NEED a job...and then I agreed to a couple of tests to see if my skills were good enough. I did an hour worth of typing and data entry tests, and I was well above average. I proved that my resume doesn't lie. They gave me a package and assured me they would get in touch the minute they find something for me.

They haven't called.

But...I continue to send good thoughts out into the world. I have applied for a few more jobs on the net. I check it every day. I check the papers, and I type emails all day long. I applied to a group home, which would be a cool job (though minimum wage). I have made it my job to find a job. In fact, I want everyone to send telepathic thoughts to Environment Canada telling them to hire me. The job is data entry (which I rock at by the way) and the place is Burlington. The job pays a whopping $16 per hour. I am perfect for this job. They say some science background is helpful but not necessary. I have this...I have more than this...I am a science nerd. HIRE ME GOSH DARNNIT!!!

So, today I will send a second email, and remind them that I faxed my resume as well. This way I'll convince them. I will send an email every 2 days. I will give up on June 8th (2 days following the end of the post date). But in the mean time, every time you can remember, think good thoughts for me. If you know anyone at Environment Canada call them and tell them I am perfect, and I will work very hard for them.

I will continue to look for work. I will continue to hope that a higher power is patting my shoulder, telling me to have patience, because the perfect job for me is right around the corner.

Lucky for me, I have good grades at school and will hopefully get the 2 jobs I applied for back in waterloo next school year. I don't see how they could not hire me...but then again....

I am sick of blogging about not having work, so I am open for suggestions. I will blog about whatever topic, so leave any suggestions in my comments. If an employment opportunity comes to me, I will close this chapter of my life, and let you all know. If this doesn't happen, I will avoid the topic of work at all costs. I will count on my mother winning the lottery (since I can't afford a ticket, hehe) and continue my job of finding a job.

At least I am not alone...in fact I haven't yet talked to a single young adult that has found a "summer" job per say. I have friends who have found jobs, but who have had to commit to at least a year with the same employer. Wait, Greg...I forgot...he has a "summer" job, but it's in Guelph, and so I never see him any more. I understand though. I would have done the same. Oakville is in a drought.

Until next time...

Aimee

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so winning the lottery! Hell I may have already won and have just chosen to keep it to myself so that your life can be consumed by the never ending jobsearch! Heehee....not really! I haven't checked a half dozen or so tickets so keep your fingers and toes crossed and who knows, in the mean time....I know that there is a higher power watching over you with the perfect answer to your needs!
Keep your chin up and keep smiling...I don't like it when you are sad!!!
I love you!
Mom

10:47 AM  
Blogger Erin Nicole said...

is the lottery in canada the same as in the united states where the money supports some government institution? also, is there a providential lottery or just a national one? just curious.

good luck with the job hunt. it's so frustrating!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home