Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Little people

OK, so the subject of this post is "things". Last night mom and I are sitting in the back yard on the nice clean patio furniture (thanks to Heather's party), enjoying the little bit of cool wind that is passing through. We decided to go and get coffee, which planted us in the backyard for at least a couple more hours. During this time, our friend Kelly comes for a visit with her friend Anna.

We hung out and chatted about everything from how Kelly's kids are doing, to customs and foods in Portugal. I love doing this in the summer, especially when I know perfectly well that the inside of our house is boiling and the outside is cool and breezy. We chatted for an hour or two, jumping from subject to subject. There was a purpose to this visit I find out a little later. Kelly has brought baby cloths for a brand new (very cute) baby that has been born to one of the guys (well, his wife) on the baseball team.

I was asked at the end of this visit to help bring these cloths in from Kelly's car. OK, I thought, but how much can there possibly be? It's tiny wee baby cloths. Was I ever mistaken...There were two boxes and two large bags of baby cloths. Now take a moment to realize the volume, and per item size for little teeny baby size cloths. This was a crap-load of cloths. I dropped my chin in aww. I gave my mom "the eye" and we silently agreed that we MUST check out these cloths before passing them on to new baby.

I decided within the first four seconds of opening the first box, that little people are spoiled, and there is no need for a baby 0-3 months old to own 6 pairs of baby gap jeans. That baby had more brand-name clothing then I've owned in my life. There was no more then 2 outfits in all four boxes/bags that didn't have some sort of brand name tag on it. Old Navy, Baby Gap, Roots, Tommy Hilfiger (BIB!!)...Freaks!

So I am jealous of this baby, and I imagine myself climbing into one of the tiny duck-covered jumpers with little feet, and taking a long nap. I want to puke on myself, and know that my puke is falling upon a brand name bib. I want frills on my butt people...I want 15 pairs of jeans a year, and plad skirts and pants with matching little t-shirts, and heck, I want Nike shoes and mitts, and a hat and bib to match every outfit. When I have a baby, I want all of these cloths back, so that my baby can be the cutest thing in town.

I might sift through the cloths again and steal the cutest outfits for myself, to dress dolls in or something. These outfits still have tags!! the shoes still have toe stuffings...these cloths have never been worn!! I can't believe it.

Little people are spoiled...and frankly, I'm just a little jealous.

Aimee

2 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

I agree, and unfortunately my little people will not be sporting such clothing. Espeically if our friend Joan is right and I squeeze out a pair. Who the hell can afford 2 pairs of midget sized jeans from the Gap!

Thanks for writing

8:57 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I never thought a little person could be spoiled so much until I had my own little person. That child has a grander closet than her mother ever had and her loving nana has more fun showing her closet to every person that enters my house than she does showing off the child who wears them!!! Just wait until you have your own some day...I'm telling you - it's like a disease!!!!!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home