Monday, January 23, 2006

Science Nerd

Thought I would fill you in...I learned today what happened to produce the cyclopse kitten. For those of you who haven't heard, there was a kitten born with a single eye. Of course, it was not alive, but just the same.Anyways...I learned that it is because when the brain was forming, the hemispheres (left and right side and front back) didn't separate properly. This causes the optic nerves (the nerves that lead to and form the eys) to be very close together and sometimes, only form one eye.

Unfortunatly this is a problem with human babies as well. They grow to term but are non-viable (ie. dead). I was shown this exact picture in lecture of a human baby with "holoprosencephaly"...talk about disturbing. I am not excited about dinner for some reason. Damn night classes....

In other news, I met a prof at University of Toronto on the weekend. I think he liked me, but I have to wait until the end of the week to find out if there is room in his lab for me. Here's to hoping...it would be nice to live at home again. I would be studying sleep function. Kinda neat...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home