Saturday, January 07, 2006

Feeling the winter frost

So, I'm sitting at my computer last night thinking about how stiff my fingers are from the cold. It sometimes gets a little chilly living in a basement when the heat is paid for by the landlord. This means that the heat control is locked and if we want the heat turned up, we have to call him and have him do it. So, I check the thermostat upstairs which reads 17 degrees. Minus about 5 degrees for basement living and I'm in a chilly 12 degrees. so I tuck myself into bed to read instead of type (which is turning out to be more difficult by the minute) and I decide that I will call mr. landlord in the morning to have the heat adjusted.

So, this morning I'm still freezing and I can't figure out why I have no heat coming through my vent. I'm tempted to place a bag of snow on the thermostat to indicate that it's freakin cold, and to trigger the heater. But instead I check the temperature again and it reads a whopping 15 degrees (upstairs!) So, of course I'm frozen...that explains the icicles forming in my nostrils.

I call Mr. landlord and ask politly if he could please stop by sometime today to turn up the heat. But, it turns out he's away for the weekend visiting family. He sais he'll come monday night. Monday!? I'll be dead by then of hypothermia...so don't bother. Click...

Just kidding, I didn't really say that...

He calls back about 10 minutes later and has me check the furnace. It's not on, nor is it blowing any sort of air. So, I check the vents which are also deadly quiet. And I report the current temperature (14 degrees and quickly falling). I hobble over to the fuse box (the 6 layers of fleece I have on are slowing me down a bit). And I flip the breaker for the furnace. Nothing...

Furnace is broken.

I don't know what he's going to do about it seeing as he's out of town, but if I don't get some heat soon, I'm going to buy a space heater. I own one but it's in Oakville. I shoulda thought about that when I went home last.

Oh! landlord just called again to get heating places phone numbers. I guess he's sending someone over to fix it. Yay! In the meantime I'm having another Hot Chocolate and a hot shower (hot water still works without a furnace right?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home