Thursday, November 03, 2005

Moving into the 21st Century

So, today I was meeting my thesis supervisor to discuss my thesis and how it has (or hasn't) been coming along. I arrive and make myslef comforatable and he sits back while I practically constructed the finalized version of my first experiment. This is a good thing. So I finally get the whole thing put together on this pretty awsome new program he purchased for me, and I go to save it to a disk. Duh Aimee. Nothing fits on disks anymore. They are ancient and people don't even know what you're talking about half the time when you refer to a floppy disk.

So, my instructor (thinking I'm a normal technacally capable human being) tells me to just throw it onto my memory stick. Ahh! I don't have one...*embarrased* Well, I suggest you buy one today, and I'll put it onto mine for now and you can transfer it tomorrow. Boo. I hate spending money on things I don't even know how to work. He is however purchasing a second memory stick for the lab, so I don't have to worry about keeping a whole bunch of programy type stuff on mine. Or something...

So, I go to office depot. I love this store when I have money but I never even step foot into the computer section. I usually head striaght for the writing utensils. This time is different. So, I timidly ask for some assistance in puchasing one of those "memory stick thingys..."

The man at the counter calls one of his friends to help me with the "USB something or others" and so we go to look at the case full of fancy pancy memory stick thingys. Now, I'm not a genious and I think the guy might have figured this out. He asks what size I'm looking for and all I said was "well, I have to put my thesis on it, so pretty big I guess"
to which he responds oh so sarcastically "well you realise that one of the smallest size holds about 100 times what a disk can hold right?"

ok....

Sarcastic Bully: "what type of files are you using for your thesis?"

Me: "well...I'm using Super Lab Pro"

Sarcastic Bully: "not the program...what kind of files?"

Me: "well I don't know, picture files I guess..."

Sarcastic Bully: "here, take this one, you might not need it to be that big but at least you wont run out of room. it holds music blah blah blah"

So, I purchase this thing which comes in a deceptivley simple package. It looks like all you gotta do is plug the thing into the hole it fits in, and use it like one of those ancient disks. So I take it home and want to play with it (of course) and I open the package only to find cords and a disk. I gave up. I'll let Scotty take care of it when he wakes up from his nap. In the meantime, I'm sticking to my floppy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Good luck!!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

I figured it out. Apparently all I had to do was plug it in after all. The disc was for windows 99 and the cord is just so that I dont have to climb in behind my computer every time I want to plug the thing in.

Overall I am very satisfied with my new toy :)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this is an interesting development...here I thought my babies were all smrt'er than their Mama Dukes and I knew this one!!
Glad you figured it out my sweet!
Have a great day!! Love you bunches!
Mama Dukes

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah USB Jump Drives, Aren't They GREAT!!!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home