Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Oh holidays....

I don't know when it will be (if ever) that I realize that I get absolutly nothing done over any sort of holiday long or short. Be it weekends, or three week holidays, I can't work. It's like I stop working for one day and all is lost. I have no motivation.

So christmas break just passed like the blink of an eye and all those lovely time-consuming projects that I put off for christmas holiday remain unfinished. In fact, I still haven't gotten into the swing of things back at school yet. When I got to campus this morning a full hour-and-a-half before my first class to leave plenty of time to do the number-puzzle-thingy in the Toronto Star, I found there to be no newspapers delivered. So, instead I sat and stared at people in the atrium while drinking my large cup of Timmies coffee. I didn't open a school book and get something productive done. I didn't check my email or even enter the computer lab. Nope...I just stared off into space wondering what I am going to do with myself now that I have no living beings to speak with.

You see, my sister moved out last year, but luckily my old roomies came back last term so I had a room to retreat to when I needed a break from the chaos in my brain. But now...they are gone on co-op work term and I am left lonely. In fact, noone seems to be living in the third room downstairs (not yet anyways), so I don't speak to anyone all day/night. But I digress....

So, there I am with my coffee thinking about nothing, and I decide to go find my first class (first day of new classes causes problems when I have no sense of direction). So, I find the room and on the door is a big sign posted saying "Jan 03 2006, PS363 Classes Cancelled"

Great...I have waisted a full hour and a half doing nothing. And now, the next hour and a half is open. I opened my lab manuel and made some notes, had another coffee and did some more staring-into-space-like-I-have-nothing-better-to-do. Meanwhile...my thesis is un-touched since before christmas, the stats lab I teach is un-prepared, I forgot to do the research work for my prof/boss that he asked me to do on my holiday, I'm three chapters behind in my full-year course, and it's only the first day of class.

Needless to say, my day only got better. I killed some more chickens in lab, watched Dr. Phil, made some more stir fry (my specialty), and checked my email a thousand times. After all was said and done, and my day was utterly unproductive, I decided to blog. What better way to procrastinate?!

Apparently I feel less guilty about taking breaks when I have noone here to "watch over me". That's gonna have to change.

Chow

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will conform under pressure, you always do!!
I'm glad you got some rest on the holidays, rest from school that is, since you really worked your ass off on my christmas present...the lovely fine basement/family room and office!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home