Thursday, September 21, 2006

Amazing!!

Hey everyone!

Can you beleive how beautiful my new blog skin is?
Thanks to se7en at Blogs gone wild!

A quick update for everyone. I am getting off to a good start with graduate school. I am still loving my research every bit as much as I did when I first started, but I have to decide on a masters project. For the next few months I will be finishing up the work I started for my supervisor in the summer on sleep restriction and metabolism.

I am thinking that after christmas I will start a comparison of the effects of sleep restriction on disease. The most interesting prospects right now are hypertension or possibly diabetes. There are so many people affected by these diseases that should be aware if a healthy 7.5 hours of sleep are more important for them then the normal healthy person. Maybe I can save lives...?

Speaking of which, I was at pool with mama dukes on tuesday when a man I've seen there before but never formally met said something that has been replayed in my mind hundreds of times since he said it. He was talking about attending the breast cancer "walk for the cure" last weekend and he said: "As long as I am physically able, I will participate in that walk every year. It was amazing, and it changed my life"

So, I'm thinking about doing the walk in the summer of 2007. It's a 60km walk over two days, but the commitment to raise enough money to walk is a rather large one. Each person that participates is required to raise a minimum of $2000 to donate to breast cancer research. I have a few months to think about it, and about how I would raise that much money. But I've requested a brochure, so I can keep reminding myself to think about it until next summer hits.

As some of you know, Greg's mom died of cancer (what started as breast cancer) 3 years ago, and it honestly affected me. Though Greg's being an ass right now, I still cared a lot about his family and I saw first hand how many people it affected, including myself. It's scary when someone your age loses someone close to them, especially a parent. With all the research going on, millions of women have been saved from breast cancer, so it's a worthwhile cause.

Anyways, my blog is beautiful :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is beautiful and so are you!
I'm so very proud to call you Daughter!!
I'm in there on the fund raising thing and I will start the ball rolling on your fund raising with $100 donation.

6:34 AM  
Blogger B said...

holy crap! you're blog is amazing!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home