Saturday, December 02, 2006

Vent First... Work Later

It's Saterday and I'm at work. I'm not complaining because I like work. But this morning I was disappointed on my commute. In humanity. In Toronto's stupid people.

I marked tests on the GO train. I was happy. It was sunny (and Snowing!). It's December, so that's ok. I like the train on the weekend. People aren't in as much of a hurry, and I can sit down because the train isn't packed. It's comfy.

But then I get to the subway station and I see a homeless guy. Normal in Toronto, but disturbing just the same. He lunged at me and I kept my head down and kept walking. I can't help eveyone. And then I get on the subway. I'm avoiding eye contact with people, except this cute kid on her way to dance class with her mom. Cutie.

So I look down and what do I see? A syringe. A needle from some doped-up a$$hole who didn't think that it's PUBLIC transit, and mommies will be taking their kids Christmas shopping, or to dance class. And kids are curious. They pick things up and play with them. They don't know what a syringe is, or that it's dangerous. My first reaction was anger, and then panic. What do I do? I don't want to leave it there, so I picked it up. It was capped (the only good part about it). Then I'm holding it between my thumb and forefinger. I don't want to put it in my pocket. But there isn't a garbage, and I don't want to be seen tossing it.

I have a sharps container at work. It would be the safe way to dispose of it. But then I have to carry it on my walk to work, and I don't want to. So I'm freaking a little, and the cute girl smiles at me. I knock on the "transit employees only" door (thankfully I was on the first car) and I'm nervous thinking "please don't get me in trouble". And a guy opens the door and gives me a weird look.

"Umm...do you have a garbage in there?" I ask. He sais "no..." So I looked at him for a minute and told him I found this needle. He sais to me "You shouldn't really be touching it. Just drop it there in the corner, and I'll get someone to pick it up" I'm thinking..."NO! I don't want to leave the needle on the floor, which is why I picked the damn thing up in the first place! There are children on the train!!" But of course I don't say this. I drop the needle, and contemplate just taking it to work with me...

But before my stop he opens the door again and says thank you to me. He moves the needle into the "emplyees only secret compartment" with his foot. He sais someone is coming to get it. I smile. But I'm still disappointed that it was there in the first place.

I smile at the little girl and get off the subway at my stop.

Now back to work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

good girl! You may baby sit!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I say good job to you.

I do have one question, you said the homeless guy "lunged" at you? Lunged meaning like, to try and grab you or something? I think either your use of words here is incorrect, or, you are a badass, who doesn't care if people lunge at them.

This is Aron, I forget my blog pass and stuff, so I had to choose anonymous :(

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home