Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Imposter

I decided to do something this morning that is out of character for me. I got to the train station this morning and instead of taking my normal train I took the express train. Now my normal train leaves a bit later and makes every single stop on the way to my destination. I take this train because it's more relaxed, and I like to relax. I like to listen to music and write, and daydream. I'm not in a hurry to get into work, because all I do first thing in the morning is check blogs and facebook, and write. So really, what's the rush?

Anyways, I make a split second decision to get on the express train just for something fun to do. I like to watch people, and I often make up little stories in my head about where they came from, or where they are going. So I get on the train and I see several things I expect. For example, every person is in pinstripes and shiny shoes. In fact, not a single person was in jeans (like me!). So, I knew if people took the time to notice (which they don't), they would know I was an express train imposter. I don't have highlights, or a prauda purse, and I don't even use the accent on my name (though I could do so justifiably).

Another interesting note. Every person on the train car I was in was either sleeping, reading the business section of the paper (except one guy reading the sports section), or doing a crossword. I grin at myself by this point because I'm listening to my MP3 player (my life soundtrack), and I wouldn't have a hope in hell of filling out 2 answers in the crossword. I don't read the paper because it's boring, and depressing. And I wouldn't bother catching the extra 10 minutes of sleep (if you can even call it that).

I watched people check their watch several times during the trip (a total of 23 minutes). I counted a few times. One guy checked his watch twice in 43 seconds. I imagined that he was in a hurry to get to a surgery (because he must have been an anesthesiologist, otherwise why was he in such a rush??!!).

I don't think it's normal to feel this out of place on a train, but I manage to do lots of abnormal things. I'll never move into the city. Commuting is just *far* to entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home