Friday, March 02, 2007

The way the cookie crumbles

I haven't blogged in a week, because I don't have much to say these days I fee like. So I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a good memory.

I was about 5 or 6 years old. My sister Jen is a year older. We are in the basement of our house at the time, and we are litening to a record (yes...a plastic disc that spins with the needle and everything) on our yellow "Big Bird" record player. It might have been the Beach Boys, but I can't be sure. Our basement was our play area, and was filled with toys of all sorts.

It was winter, and there was a ton of snow on the ground. So we're playing and swinging from the beams in the ceiling, and singing our little hearts out. We decide at some point to play "house". So we sneak upstairs into the kitchen (though I'm sure mom knew, cause she knows everything). We grab the whole bag of chocolate chip cookies and run back downstairs (oh-so-quietly I'm sure...). We go to our plastic kitchen area and get out all of the cooking tools. There are mini pots and spatulas (PS. thanks grandma and grandpa for the kitchen set. good times)

We decide that we will make chocolate chip cookie soup. I love how this makes sense in a 5 year olds brain. Anyways, we don't want to go upstairs again to get some liquid to make our soup base, because mom might catch on that we are eating cookies before dinner, and that would lead to the end of our game. So instead we open the basement door and gather a bunch of snow. We put it into the plastic kitchen sink and wait for it to melt a little.
Then we crush up all of the cookies into the melting slush and pour it into little plastic kitchen cups. We ate the entire bag of cookies. I remember it being the best cookie soup I ever had. One day I might attempt a re-creation just to see...

I don't remember if we ever got caught for eating all of the cookies. I'm sure we probably did, but it would have been worth it. I don't remember a lot from when I was that young, but that one stuck with me. I was innocent and happy. I didn't have any real worries. And I think that's worth all the chocolate chip cookies I can handle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe believe it or not I was just telling someone this story last week. I remember it so vividly too! It's amazing what you remember. Good times sis, good times :)

Jen

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home