Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Meeting the Family :S

Getting back into the dating world is turning out to be scary, and fun. So, since I seem to have nothing better to talk about these days (judging by the lack of blogs on my part) I'll fill you all in on the latest with Gemini. Oh man, if he only knew I was posting our getting-to-know-each-other (?) for all the world to see. Haha

So last night I came home from work and went to the gym. Nothing special, just a regular Monday night. It was about 9pm when I finished there and dropped my bestest buddy Anita off at home. On the way home I called Gemini to see what he was up to. He was "jamming" (ie. playing guitar) with his younger brother (who plays base guitar) and his younger cousin (who plays drums). So he invited me over for a bit to hang out. My first thought was "It's Monday night. I never do anything on Mondays, it's a school night". My second thought was "Aimee, you're such a dork", so I decided it wasn't a bad idea.

I went home and showered quickly, got dressed, ate some chicken and went to his house. What I didn't realize was what I was getting into. I felt a little tricked, but it was fine. His entire family was there. His Mom and Dad, his brother and sister, his grandma (who lives with him), his aunt and cousin (who live next door), and his grandparents from Trinidad (who were going back on a flight this morning at 4am). So, needless to say, walking in the door was a bit overwhelming. They were very welcoming. Hugs all around! And several comments from his family along the lines of "Gemini told us you were pretty, but he didn't say how pretty", and "Let me see your eyes, you pretty girl" etc. Can you picture me as red as a tomato? Yup, that was me at that moment.

Anyways, I went downstairs and listened to them play for a few songs. They are good. I am surprised when kids (9 and 12?) can play intruments that well, but anyways...we went back upstairs to hang out with the family. I felt like I was imposing on family time a little, since the grandparents were leaving soon, but they insisted I wasn't. Then came the game of 20 (or a thousand) questions, each one of which was directed at me. Questions about school, and what I want to do with my life etc. Questions about the gym and my eating habbits from grandpa (who used to be a body builder). And on and on. It was clear I was nervous. Gemini kept asking if I was OK. And I was, but I get a little uncomforatable talking about myself all the time. It turns out Gemini's dad studied similar things to me in University. He worked with rats, and studied hypertension (the topic of my PhD thesis when I get to it). Interesting...

So it was good. I think he plans on keeping me around for a while, haha. And Mama Dukes is right. I just have to integrate him into family life at my house now, which shouldn't be hard. I'm pretty sure his sense of humor will get him a long way in my family. And sinse he's used to an "open-house" I think it shouldn't be too hard to get used to my house, with our "my-house-is-your-house" mentality.

Oh, and yes mom...he IS cute.

PS. still open to suggestions about Blogging topics...otherwise I'm going to sound 13 again, and all I will talk about will be boys!! Help me out people.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm okay with this topic...it's kind of interesting reading this from your perspective, seeing you be all giddy and "smitten" as you put it! Honestly, I don't think I've EVER (and I do mean EVER)
seen you quite so interested! It's very cute!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

OH MY GOODNESS...

You must bring him out to pool on Thursday. If he gets through a night of Veronica, he'll survive easily on his own at your house!!!

But then again, if he's a cute as you say, Veronica might hit on him!!! (just kidding...I think)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home