Monday, July 11, 2005

To Work or Not to Work...

So, this morning, I woke up before the sun came up to get ready for my first exciting day of work. I showed up at 7:50, about 10 minutes before the morning shift started. I came in with my resume in hand, because they didn't have a copy and I figured they'd want one. So I walk up to the front of the store, and ask if the guy is in to start training me. "Nope...he's not here. Maybe if you come in sometime after 10am"

I don't know about you, but when I'm told to come in for training, I expect that the person will be there to train me. This is sketchy, but I go back home, play a game of cards with Mom and after much complaining, I decide to return to the store at 10 and see if maybe there was a misunderstanding.

I show up at 9:55am, and I walk up to the deli counter where I am supposed to be training. I ask the girl at the counter
Me: "pardon me, I am supposed to be training this morning, and I am wondering if the gentleman with glasses has come in yet"
Girl: "Ummmm, I dunno, I just started here today"
Me: "uh, OK...so I guess they don't want me in then...??"
Girl: "just a sec" (goes and talks to old lady)

Old Lady: yells to her daughter(?) "Christina, page Joe"

Joe comes out...definitly not the guy who hired me but ok. So I'm being trained by someone else I guess. No explaination about what happened to Habib (or whatever the glasses dude was named). I told him I cam ein for 8am. He didn't respond. He tells me Christina will be training me. I go into the back to punch in and get an apron. He walks back behind the counter and serves customers. I watch, trying to take in what he is doing. He gives me absolutly no instruction, he tells me to watch what Christina is doing. Then he changes his mind.

Joe: "actually, just start serving customers, Christina will help you if you need it"
Me: "uh, ok..."

I got zero instruction, they didn't train me. They made me feel dumb to tell you the truth. I asked questions when Christina was there (a whole 1/2 hour or so...) and other then that I winged it. I rung in green leafy stuff as parsley, I tried my best but gimmie a break...Christina showed me how to use the lottery machine (sort of) but that's the most I could get out of her. She went out to smoke, and again I was left alone.

I have no grocery store experience, which they would know if they would have taken my resume. But they wouldn't. Apparently we were "passed that..." So I was lost.

I asked Joe about an hour into my shift what the shifts were like (as I didn't get any of this information before). He told me the times that the shifts run. I asked him how often he would want me into work. He beat around the bush. I couldn't get a straight answer to save my life. He said "it depends on how you turn out"

I asked how much I was getting paid. Again he dodged the question, and said "we'd see in a few days"

Sketchy???? I think so.

So, I think it might be possible that Joe and his family are maybe trying to get some kids in and see how they work out before they decide whether or not to keep them around. I think they've already decided they don't like me. I'm not sure why...maybe because I didn't "show up" until 10am. They didn't ask my last name, or my social insurance number. Nothing.

Anyways, I was there for 3 hours, and they sent me home. After a long (5-10min) lecture from an old lady who barely spoke english about how she needed me to learn quickly because I would soon be alone (as if I wasn't immediatly alone) I left. It was a lousy first day with a family of sketchy people who are clearly hiring any idiot off the street and are "training" a crap load of teenagers who they don't expect to keep most. They were still taking resumes today...funnily they still wouldn't take mine.

I think I might return my apron in the middle of the night and never go back. Honestly, I am not that desparate for work. I have contacted Rob's old boss to see if I could get a few hours here and there packing other peoples "stuff". I would much prefer this job, as it would be much less sketchy, and I would get paid cash at the end of the day. If this doesn't work out, there's alway's OSAP. I'll find something better for next year.

For those of you that were excited about me working, thank you, but I'm sure if you were in my position, you would be supportive in my decision.

Aimee

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't listen to that guy in the last comment! There will be no pole for my daughter. I love you Bib and stand by your decision!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Run, Run like children in the night.
First off if they have not signed a letter of employment with you, you are not covered by their insurance/WSIB as a worker. So if you cut off a finger in the deli slicer make sure it's a pinky and not a thumb or index.

6 words, "The Right To Refusal Of Work". According to the employment standards act you have the right as a worker to refuse work until properly trainned without the risk of being fired. Again I bring you back to the deli slicer. This is exactly how young workers die every year. They don't want to piss off the employer and instead of demanding proper training they just do what has been asked of them.

Next (you got me started), this man has no intent to pay you although by law there is no such thing as "trying" someone out for free. According to the standards act, an employer must pay you for all hours worked, including training and for no less than 3 hours.

Go with your gut and get the hell out of there before you get hurt/robbed, it's a job and only a job...so not worth it.

Keep the apron, it's not like they know your name or phone number. Go, enjoy your holidays with mama and what is left of your youth.
There is lots of time for employers to bend you over a desk.
Luv
Kate

11:44 AM  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

a little bit, but passion is hot!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

This is Tracys sister who has had her own "luck" with employers infact I still work at Petro Canada a job that I got in grade 10 (10 years ago) and over a month into it I just wasn't on the schedule...just like that, and they too were a family who bought the franchise and didn't train me then wondered how I could be short money my first shift as I stared at them wondering....I was supposed to be taking money??!! (joking) but it was that bad...so run for the hills..

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home