Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Commuting

Many of the things I have learned this summer include a long list of personal facts, stories, and histories of commuters. I'm not sure why people choose the morning train to chat about their life and everyone elses but it's a fact. I am just awaiting the day when I hear something about someone I know, cause it's bound to happen really.

People call their mom, their girlfriend, or their sick aunt that's laying in a hospital bed on the train. Cell phones and blackberries are in the hands of at least 2/3 of the people around you, and for the others they have them flashing in their handbag or strapped to their belt. It's so funny how fast life is happening for people. I don't even know if they'd realize if their heads weren't attached they are functioning so absent-mindedly.

Take for example the express train. Now it's express so it doesn't make all of the usual stops from the city but skips over them to get people home faster. But everyone still finds it necessary to pile on top of one another at the door of the train for the last 10 minutes of the ride so they can be the first one to run to their car and screetch out of the parking lot to get home (or wherever). I find this amusing. It's like a temporary drug for them, the commuter rush. And same thing goes in the morning, like people are in a hurry to get to the office. Seriouosly...?

People push down escalators to get to the subway, and force doors open when they are already closing. I've seen people cling to the side of the train and scream obsenities at the train driver like he gives a sh*t.

I have a few words of advice for commuters. Stop and smell the roses (or the guy next to you that forgot to shower for the past week). You are spending 27 years of your life sleeping, about 8 or 9 years commuting, and the rest working! so get used to it and enjoy the time you have. Grab a good book, or write in a journal. Knit a scarf to save yourself buying a Christmas present, or meditate. Who cares! But use your time wisely. Catch a few more minutes of sleep if you need it. You're stuck there and there is no point trying to fight it.

I'm learning to like the commute. I use the time to think, to read, to people watch, to journal, and sometimes to catch an extra Zzzz or two. I take the long train on purpose in the morning. Call me crazy, but I'm not waisting my life being in a crazy hurry to get anywhere but where I am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

I'm surprised no one left comments on this one. I like what you have to say here. Rushing is unhealthy :) (yeah but look who this comment is coming from... should I really talk?)

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home