Monday, March 26, 2007

NSERC

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada

They are basically the people who decide who gets the governments money to do research in Canada. Or in other words, who doesn't have to accumulate a ridiculous amount of debt doing graduate studies on top of the debt they racked up in their undergraduate years.

So, I found out on Friday that they think my research is worth doing, and my grades say that I'm a good enough person to do it, and they have faith in me. So they are giving me some free money so that I can focus on my research and cure something, or do something meaningful. Basically, they are counting on me to do something great with the money they give me so that I can apply to get more money next year.

What it also means is that when I go to apply to transfer directly to the PhD prgram (without actually finishing my masters), they would be foolish to say no, because I'm one of the fantastic students that NSERC picked to throw money at. And shouldn't we give her the chance to do something else fantastic with her money?

So I'm happy, and a little less worried about paying for school next year. But it's still going to be as tight as it is this year, so no pedicures or anything, but I hopefully wont have to take on more than one part time job while trying to finish school. This is great news. I'm proud. My supervisor is proud. I deserve it.

The End :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Aimee!

The NSERC people have likewise decided that my research is worth some funding :)

DJ

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The NSERC people have stuck a hot iron up my ass, but I am happy about your situation...

Actually they didn't do that, let's all have a big, "We love NSERC" party, we can dress up as different pieces of lab ware, I call a pipette-man.

~Aron

9:50 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Way to go Aimee!!!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home