Monday, April 09, 2007

Animal Conciousness

This blog is thanks to my friend Aron, who requested that I comment on the conciousness of our pets. For example, if your cat would think about how fun it would be to attack a mouse. So here's my thoughts on the subject.

Firstly, I think that animals have concious thought. I don't think they are limited to instinct as some would predict. I also don't think they have the equivalent thoughts that a human might. I don't think they experience things the same way we do, and I don't think that they necessarily have the ability to think as deeply as we might. I'll cover the limitations first.

Animals don't have formal language like we have. They make animal sounds to communicate, but their ability to express themselves is limited to barking or whining or mewing or whatever. Most mammals have paired that with body movements etc. to further express themselves, but it still acts as a limitation because they don't have an oxford dictionary worth of words to use (both spoken, or in their thoughts). So in that sense, I wouldn't put them on the same level of conciousness as humans for example.

But if you think about your pet, or a higher-order mammal (for example, a chimanzee or gorilla), you will notice that they do appear to have thoughts, and desires that are more complex than just "I need to kill and eat to survive" and what not. They play with toys for fun, and they seem to miss you when you leave, or welcome you when you get home. These aren't things (in my oppinion) that they need for survival, so why would they aquire these habbits (if this is the right word for it?). Because they think and feel in a similar way to what we do.

I think pets in particular begin to understand human language over time as well. I'm drawing from experience, in that my dog understands some commands, and English words such as "bath" or "timbits" or "walk". It's simple association, but they understand it. So even though they can't speak the words, I imagine they can think about the sounds of those words and associate them with a feeling of "wanting" or "desiring" those things.

So, my short answer is yes. I think your pets can think. I also believe that other animals in the wild can think. Beyond natural selection type things, like grooming or protecting, animals still play and behave in other ways that presumably have no other survival reasons. If this behavior weren't attached to some sort of concious thought, then I don't know why they would do it.

Thanks again to Aron for the topic. If anyone else wants to pick my brain, please feel free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home