Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Tonsils: 17, Aimee: 0

So, I've been away for a while. I've missed work and spent far too much time "resting". To me, being in bed all day is practically torture. I don't like watching tv, especially alone. I can't read in bed or I fall asleep, and I end up feeling like I've waisted my life being in bed.

It all started one sunday afternoon, after a lovely day of apple picking and pie-making. My throat started to feel scratchy and I knew I was about to get sick. Well it came faster than I was prepared for, and harder too. By 7 pm I thought I was going to scream, and every sip of water I got down felt like swallowing razor blades. By 9 pm I was in the ER. I wanted drugs to make the pain stop. I figured it was tonsillitis as I get this about 4 times every year. My kidneys started getting sharp pains, and I knew I needed fluid. But the ER doctor said it was strep throat so I didn't fight. He said it looked pretty bad (especially for having started that afternoon) and prescribed me antibiotics.
I spent Monday in bed. All night and all day and all night, I think I got up one time to pee. That was it. My family was good to me as usual, and brought me endless glasses of water and apple cider for which I left sitting there. I couldn't bare the pain to drink, even though my kidneys were screaming.
So I woke up in the middle of the night on tuesday and tried to take a small sip of water. It went right up my nose, and I felt like a little kid who jumped into the pool too fast. So I knew I was getting worse. When Jen came into my room in the morning to check on me, I whispered that I was getting worse, and I felt like death. Mom came in shortly after that and told me to put on a shirt, cause I was going back to the ER. I didn't fight this time.
We got there and I got a room relatively quickly, but it had no bed. It had a chair, and I sat. But I haven't eaten or drank in days and I'm weak and cranky and cold. By this time my last tylenols have warn off and my fever is back. I can't even stand to swallow my own saliva. I spit it out in the garbage. It was a sad day. I was miserable.
I eventually took the floor so I could lay down. My sweet mama dukes layed out her coat and got me lots of blankies and a pillow. I stayed here for over an hour waiting for the first doctor. He came in and told me I had an absess in my tonsil, and they might have to cut it out. He admitted me, and said I'd be getting an IV with antibiotics, fluids, and morphine shortly. Yay!
So the nurse eventually came, thought it was ridiculous that I was on the floor. Got me a stretcher and put in my IV. I also got a cup of ice which was a life-saver. I have never had better ice in my life. And within minutes I was feeling better and smiling at my mom.
She went to get me a magazine and some slippers (my feet were icy too) and I got kicked out of my room. I spent the next few hours in the nurses station, sucking up fluids through my arm, and I even got a freezie.
The ear, nose throat doctor finally came and looked at my throat. He diagnosed a bad case of tonsilitis (just as I had predicted), switched my antibiotic, and gave me pain killers so I could go home (they had no beds to keep me there).
I felt better that day, and my throat feels perfect now. I could eat thanksgiving dinner (something to be thankful for), but I caught a head cold, so I almost couldn't taste it. I'm still getting over the cold, but I'm back, and I'm fantastic.
Hope you didn't miss me too much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

Did you end up losing the tonsil??
I hate when doctors don't believe you. It's not like you're making things up. You want to scream: "Look you idiot, I get tonsilitis 4 times a year, I fucking know what it feels like!" (sorry for the profanity that just shows how angry you are)

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home